By Michilea Patterson, The Mercury
Money may not grow on trees but Boyertown and Pottstown residents can win cash for planting this season.
Participants of this year’s Home Garden Contest can win up to $200. The deadline to enter was extended to this Friday at midnight. There’s no fee to register and can easily be done online at www.HomeGardenContest.com. Print registration forms are available at the Building a Better Boyertown office and the Pottstown Mosaic office. The Building a Better Boyertown office is located at 3 E. Philadelphia Avenue in Boyertown and the Mosaic office is located at 10 S. Hanover St. in Pottstown.
Judging will take place on July 8, 9 and 10. This year’s contest has categories for small spaces, full-sized yards, flowers, vegetables, adults, youth and beginners. Entries must live in either the Boyertown Borough or the Pottstown Borough. The two areas will have separate judging but a joint awards ceremony. There is $5,500 available in cash prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for most categories. There are also gift certificates and additional awards available due to the support of local businesses Pine Hill Tree Farm, Colonial Gardens and Achin’ Back Garden Center.
• Junior Garden: This category is for children and young adults aged 18 and under to get their hands dirty by planting vegetables or flowers.
• Pizza Garden: This category is for gardens that sprouts all your favorite pizza ingredients such as peppers and tomatoes.
• Bees & Butterflies Garden: This category is for gardens that attracts bees, butterflies and other critters that pollinate plants.
• “Everything But the Kitchen Sink” Garden: This category is for gardens that use decorative objects and other non-vegetative items to help beautify the area.
• Grocery Garden: This category is for gardens that blossoms with delicious fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs and edible flowers.
• “A Lot with a Little” Garden: This category is for new gardeners, renters, or homeowners with little space to plant. Gardens can be in a container, planter or widow box.
• General Garden: This category is gardens that beautify their neighborhood through plants. The garden can include shrubs, trees, flowers, herbs, vegetables and containers.